Thursday, September 01, 2005
28 Ways to build community in your group
- Celebrate Birthdays
- Take pictures and make sure you give them a copy. If your using a digital camera why not make a photo CD. Send picture texts.
- Phone them
- Visit them at home
- Send Text messages
- Create 'shared experiences' - see Memory makers: 50 moments your kids will never forget by Duffy Robbins
- It's kind of obvious, but needs saying - try to speak to each young person at least once everything you have a meeting. Try to remember what you talked about last time and follow it up...I used to find I was having the same conversation every week with the same people!
- Welcome them individualy when they arrive. If you know they are coming for the first time try go see them at home before hand.
- Send them Email
- Chat on MSN
- At the end of the year, try recap on what the group has done - create a display, discus what happened etc.
- Make a group video
- Make sure they have your contact details, phone number, email, SMS, website etc. Why not get a 'business card' made? I've heard of people making a little card with their details on as well as some useful numbers such as Child line.
- Buy birthday / Christmas gifts / books etc.
- Run an open house. Invite people round for meals.
- Day trips
- organize a residential
- Run a website
- Invite them to youth friendly Church services
- Get involved in other aspects of their lives / settings...School, sport etc.
- Give them responsibilities
- Play team building games
- Make time for group discussions / discussions
- Run Fund raisers...Sponsored fast etc.
- Do a quiz about the group and the people in it
- Create mosaic pictures. You can do this with software like Image puzzler
- Develop shared values...what are the rules in your group...official and un-official? Think them up togethier.
- Run surveys, get feedback, ask them for ideas, involve them in planning / decision making
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]