Wednesday, May 31, 2006
I seem to be doing nothing be travel at the moment - I've been to Holland and Dublin in the last 2-3 weeks and I'll be going to New York and Houston in 9 days time! So apologies to anybody who actually reads this blog - I've not had much chance to post anything
Thursday, May 25, 2006
Still recovering from Fort Rocky this last weekend! Wow that was tiring!
My dad just sent me a link to this government website for statistics based on your post code: http://www.neighborhood.statistics.gov.uk/dissemination/
Friday, May 19, 2006
Talk - friends / boyfriends / girlfriends
I've just uploaded Hiede's talk that she did last Friday. It's about Friendship and how boyfriend / girlfriend relationships fit into that - is it better to be friends before you go out etc. You can find the talk here
Sunday, May 14, 2006
Life, actually - book for our "life after school" talk
We've come across this book called Life, Actually by Jenny Baker. It basically tries to give some advice to year 11's about what might happen next. We're going to give some away as part of our Life after school talk, which we're planning to do later this week.
Saturday, May 13, 2006
"Hoodie kills WPC"
I noticed the headline "Hoodie Kills WPC" on the front of the Sun. It's great to see the stereotype is still alive and well. Maybe a good discussion starter...
Wednesday, May 10, 2006
POLL: Top Ten Issues Facing Families
Monday, May 08, 2006
TV Pairs - quiz
Sunday, May 07, 2006
Cheaper by the Dozen 2 - talk ideas
Chloe must have watched this film 10 times in the past two weeks! Here are some ideas for using this film:
- Chapter 1 - Loraine graduates. Maybe we could use this for our "life after school" talk.
- Chapter 7 and Chapter 12 - The children are upto some mischief...making trouble...
- Chapter 10 - 11 (23 mins - 35 mins). You could use this to talk about rivalry. Basically the Bakers setup camp in sight of the Murtaugh's house. They then start trying to out sing each other. If you watch the film you see that main theme is the rivalry between Jimmy Murtaugh and Tom Baker. This is a good example of that.
- Chapter 16 (52 mins - 1 hour 5 mins). You could use these scene for two issues. Firstly in Tom's quest to beat the Murtaugh's, the family start training for the big annual competition. So you could talk about training, preparation etc. Secondly, there's a good bit about dating...Sarah (who's a bit of a tom boy) is going on her first date and is putting on makeup, dressing up etc. Tom, the father, is struggling with the whole idea of this, so he follows them to the cinema to make sure they behave...he then makes a fool of himself. You could use the to talk about dating, your attitude towards it, what your parents think, preparation (how do you prepare yourself emotionally etc).
- Chapter 20 (1 hour 17 mins - 1 hour 20 mins). It's the big completion. Again, you could use this to talk about rivalry, winning & losing. They other thing to note is that during the completion Nora starts giving birth. This causes the Baker "team" to re-evaluate their priorities. The film ends with the birth, and the Baker and Mirtaugh's are all good friends...so you could talk about priorities, making up etc.
You can read more about the film here
Labels: Video clip ideas
Monday, May 01, 2006
Childrens Worship songs for download
I just noticed that Jonathan's moved the worship songs he put together for our children's work..check them out here! They are not cheesy, I promise!
Elastic powered car - craft activity
Check out the craft activity we did for our last Pathfinder meeting - make and race "elastic powered cars" using CD's, cardboard, pins, elastic bands and a bit of pipe. Click here for more info.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]