Friday, February 29, 2008
From today's Times newspaper:
- "In 2006 the conception rate among 15 to 17 year-olds fell from 41.4 to 40.7 conceptions per 1000 girls. But the percentage of conceptions leading to a legal abortion rose by 4.9 per cent for the under 16s and by 4.5 per cent for all girls under 18"
Tuesday, February 26, 2008
71% of pupils admit being a bully
Sunday, February 24, 2008
Every Child Matters and Youth Matters
Over the next few weeks I'm going to upload some of Hiede's essays that she has writen for her Diploma in Community & Youth Work course. You can find the first one, Compare and contrast the two green papers 'Every Child Matters' and 'Youth Matters', here.
Sunday, February 17, 2008
The Simpsons Movie - does God speak to us?
I just watched The Simpson's Movie last night. In DVD chapter 3, Rev'd Lovejoy invites people to speak up if they have a "word". Shortly after this Grandpa has a revelation. This scene is about 2 minutes long. This could make a good discussion starter about How God speaks to us...does God speak to us?
Labels: Video clip ideas
Friday, February 15, 2008
Suicide rate drops in young men
Tuesday, February 12, 2008
Boys, God and the Church
I've just read this booklet which outlines some of the basic issues that churches need to grapple with if they want to engage with boys. The main points I picked up were:
- boys are more likely to enjoy factual / evidence based ideas / teaching
- because of the way that boys brains are wired up, they are less likely to enjoy / relate to stories, fiction and poetry. They are also less likely to pick up subtle visual queues or "disapproving looks" from leaders
- boys are less likely to enjoy reading than girls.
- at certain ages, boys can physically struggle to hear what you are saying
- we need to include lots of activities and games - make things more hands on / practical
- avoid long periods of time on any one activity
- during times of teaching, try to show the 'tough' side of Jesus
- boys, perhaps more that girls, need clear boundaries
Saturday, February 09, 2008
Check out ecocongregation - there are some free resources to help get your church thinking about going green
Saturday, February 02, 2008
Prayer "beer mat" template
I've just put togeither a "beer mat" prayer card that I'm sending out to all the churches in our area. The idea is to keep people upto date with what we are doing. I've uploaded the "template" for this here. Note that I've printed this on thin A4 card using a colour laser printer.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]