Saturday, October 18, 2008
Drillbit Taylor - bullying video clip idea
- early in the movie we see Wade and Ryan's first day at high school. Right from the beginning it goes wrong, they wear the "wrong clothes" and they try and help out some kid who is getting a hard time from the class bully.
- about half way though the movie Wade goes home with a back eye which was given to him by one of the bullies. His step-father asks about this. Rather than being sympathetic, his step dad tells him that the bullies were basically doing him a favour...toughening him up in preparation for the rest of life.
- at the end of the movie Wade and Ryan decide to stand their ground even though they might get a pasting....the good part about this scene is that it shows that everybody was frightened of the bully, but everyone went along with him.
Tuesday, February 26, 2008
71% of pupils admit being a bully
Monday, October 01, 2007
Bullying seminar notes
Some definitions of bullying
- Name calling
- Spreading rumours
- Making up stories to get people into trouble / take away friends
- hitting / tripping / poking
- remarks about colour / physical appearance / looks
- choosing not to be someones partner
- being left out when choosing teams
- taking possessions / demanding money
- hiding stuff
- sending nasty text messages
- prank phone calls
- doing things that you know will make someone ill
Why do people bully?
- Traumatic event
- it gives power
- because they are spoilt and always want their own way
- because that's what in going on at home
- some are under pressure to succeed, so they "have a go" at those who don't try
- they don't fit in...it's a way of getting some power / respect etc.
- they have no sense of accomplishment...they can get some people to do stuff
- they have a negative attitude...
- could be scared of the bully even years later
- being too scared to do or say anything
- can't except praise
- causes a wrong view of God...if everyone else bullies you...surly God will
- scared of walking to / from meetings / youth group / school etc. May constantly ask to be driven or may change their route.
- they stop coming all of a sudden
- may suddenly become withdrawn..."hide at the back" of the group
- suddenly start stammering
- threaten suicide / run away
- all of a sudden feel ill before some activity
- begin to underachieve....stop giving the right answers...maybe they are being bullied for being bright
- their stuff gets damaged
- they start to lash out
- they stop eating
- they present improbable excuses
- The no blame approach...draw a pictures / write a poem
- Circle time
- Peer group programs
- "Telling", ie, use a message box to allow people to post their concerns
- Sometimes they bring it on themselves...children can spot a victim from an early age
- Some children don't like their name because someone has misused it
- If you suspect someone is being bullied, start recording any incidents in a log book
- Check out the book Odd Girl Out - the hidden culture of aggression in girls
Monday, August 27, 2007
Bullying lesson plan part 4 - Help!!!
Note you can find the other lesson plans here:
Monday, August 13, 2007
Bullying lesson plan part 3 - I am who I am
Tuesday, August 07, 2007
Bullying lesson plan part 2
Thursday, August 02, 2007
Bullying lesson plan - what is bullying?
Monday, April 16, 2007
Bullying video clips - ideas
Billy Madison - 54 minutes to 57 minutes from the start of the video
- See Jonathans talk here
- During this clip, Neil tears a strip of Del. He does it in a particularly vicious way.
- See my talk here
- See my blog entry here
- See my blog entry on scene 3 here
- See my blog entry here
- White Goodman comes to intimidate the opposition
- the first 7 minutes of this film give a fairly graphics example of a girl being bullied at school. She is beaten and forced to say she is a virgin. You could only show this to an older group (the film is certificate 15). This clip, however, might be the best real example of what might happen in a school.
- The film is based around a new student called Cady and her relationship with a group of girls called "The plastics". The plastics are the three most popular girls in the school. Basically, Cady gets sucked in to this group and then falls for the boyfriend of the Regina, who is the leader of the group. The plot then turns to revenge, which eventually involves everyone in the whole school. This climaxes in the scenes suggested. This starts when posters are distributed around the school full of slander / secrets about everyone in the school. During scenes 15/16 the teachers get everyone together to try add address the issues.
- Note that chapters 17 and 18 draw the film to a close by showing how Cady changed for the better and what lessons she had learned
Friday, November 24, 2006
Bullying today report Nov 2006
Sunday, October 15, 2006
Tuesday, October 10, 2006
The Pacifier - talk ideas
- Chapter 5 (30 min - 31 mins 40). Seth is in a fight - 6 against 1. The Vice principle says that's a good thing! Use it to talk about bullying? The Vice also does some big talking and challenges Shane to a session on the mats.
- Chapter 6 (31 min 40 - 34 min 40). The children all have to wear these GPS style tags so Shane knows where they are. One of them flushes there tag down the toilet and Shane goes to get it. He ends up in the sewer covered in you know what. You could use this to talk about how committed you are...how far would you be willing to go for your cause / job...
- Chapter 7 (31 mins to 38 mins). The girls get bullied by the boys...the girls run and hide. Later in the film the girls have learnt to stand-up for themselves - see chapter 12 (1 hour 2 - 1 hour 3).
- Chapter 8 (39 min 25 - 44 mins 44). Two intruders break into the house...Shane fights them off. This could be used as an alternative clip for the fighting talk I did here.
- Chapter 11 (55 mins 10 - 49 mins 20). This has got to be the best scene in the whole movie. Basically, the vice principle, the "meminator", has been bullying Seth. As a result of this Shane challenges him to a fight (wrestling match). Anyway, basically Shane wins. Again, this could be an alternative to the fight talk, or maybe a talk about pride or similar.
Friday, September 08, 2006
Just doing some homework on Bullying. Here are some places I've been looking:
And some books I've looked at:
- More Bible bits to ignote your life - page 29 "dealing with bullying"
- Bullying (Wise Guides) by Michele Elliott. This is a book written for young people to read. The style, in my opinion would be suited to "tweenagers".
Some other places to consider:
- North Yorkshire County council - pupil support department
- North Yorkshire Police community safety department
Saturday, March 18, 2006
The Longest Yard - talk ideas
- Scene 1 & 2 (first 8 mins) - consequences / selfishness. At the start of the film, Lena, his girlfriend is hosting a party. Paul can't be bothered to take part...he just wants to watch football. He ends up locking her in the closet and stealing her car (he's been drinking). Anyway, it turns into a car chase...he gets arrested...consequences.
- Scene 3 (8 mins - 14 mins) - blackmail / bullying / dilemmas. Paul arrives at the prison and is "welcomed" by Captain Knauer, who gives him a beating and tells Paul that he should not take up any offer by the warden to get involved in the prison football team. So when the warden meets Paul, he asks him to help and he declines...so he gets threatened by the warden...he is stuck in the middle...what to do...
- Scene 8 (33 mins 44 - 38 mins 30) - Matthew 5:38:45 / Turn the other cheek. Paul tries to recruit the basket ball players...so he challenges the "leader" to a game of one on one. While Paul plays fair he takes a beating because the other guy cheets. You could probably use this as a good example of "turn the other cheek"
- Scene 9 (40 mins - 43 mins) - saying sorry. They are playing football and this big scary guy decks some other guy in the team. Paul makes the big guy say sorry.
- Scene 10 (45 min - 47 mins 20) - more bullying. The prison officers corner this guy in the library and try provoke him into doing something...he doesn't react.
- Scene 15 - scene 17 - the big game / cheating / confession etc. Some highlights include:
- the referee is not playing far...he is biased in favour of the prison guards...anyway, the inmates come up with a way to make him play fair
- in scene 17 (1 hour 30ish) Paul confesses that he did throw that game, and confesses that he's been threatened by the warden so that he does that same again....this time he's going to make the right choice, even if it costs him
Tuesday, November 22, 2005
Filey School - Children's anti-bullying film packs a real punch
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]