Talk (Fear / Crash / Indiana Jones and the last crusade)
Talk introduction 1
- Later on tonight we're going to talk about fear
- To start us thinking about this, we're going to watch a clip from the
start of Indiana Jones and
the Last Crusade
- Those of you who have seen the other Indiana Jones movies will know that
he is freighted on snakes
- This clip will show you why...
- [Indiana Jones and the
Last Crusade - if there is time play the first 10 minutes, otherwise watch
the second 5 minutes]
- 5 mins from the start - Indiana is running out of the cave
- 10 mins from the start - he's just escaped from the train by going
through a 'magic box'
Talk introduction 2
- So tonight we're talking about fear...
- Fear comes in many forms
- sometimes it's brought on by worry
- other times it's because we are in a dangerous situation
- For some of us, the fear is so bad that we panic...phobia's
- Those are the words that you can see dotted around the room...
- [If time permits, you could do a 'phobia' quiz here]
- Earlier we watched a clip from
Indiana Jones and the Last
- Can anyone remember what happened?
- While he was been chased, he fell into a pit of snakes and was trapped in
a car with a lion...
- While that would be rather scary, it not something that is going to happen
to us here in England...
- However, we all still worry about stuff...
- What kind of things do you worry about / find frightening?
- How do our fears / worries effect our day - day lives?
- People refuse to go to the dentist
- We know someone who will not fly
- The Bible says that we should not worry
- Philippians 4:6
"Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises
shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns"
- 1 Peter 5:7
"God cares for you, so turn all your worries over to him."
- Why do you think the Bible says that?
- When I am worried, I have found it helpful to pray about it...talk to
- What do you do when you are worried / frightened?
- Have tried praying about it?
- What happened?
- Does it help?
- To finish we're going to watch a clip from the movie
- In this clip a man comes home to find he daughter is hiding under then
- When her father finds her, he tells her not to worry...
- She trusts believes him...
- In a way that's a bit like the verses we read in the Bible
- If we truly trust God, life we seem a lot simpler and we will find some
- [Crash scene 6]
- 25 mins from the start - the father arrives home
- 30 mins from the start - he put the cloak on his daughter
Youth ideas home page
Copyright 1998-2006 Nigel Coates