Saturday, March 18, 2006
The Longest Yard - talk ideas
In The Longest Yard Adam Sandler plays Paul Crewe, an American football player who 'threw a game' for money. While he was a great footballer, this ruined in carrier. During the start of the film he gets into some trouble and ends up in prison where he is forced into running a football team. There are loads of issues raised in this film:
- Scene 1 & 2 (first 8 mins) - consequences / selfishness. At the start of the film, Lena, his girlfriend is hosting a party. Paul can't be bothered to take part...he just wants to watch football. He ends up locking her in the closet and stealing her car (he's been drinking). Anyway, it turns into a car chase...he gets arrested...consequences.
- Scene 3 (8 mins - 14 mins) - blackmail / bullying / dilemmas. Paul arrives at the prison and is "welcomed" by Captain Knauer, who gives him a beating and tells Paul that he should not take up any offer by the warden to get involved in the prison football team. So when the warden meets Paul, he asks him to help and he declines...so he gets threatened by the warden...he is stuck in the middle...what to do...
- Scene 8 (33 mins 44 - 38 mins 30) - Matthew 5:38:45 / Turn the other cheek. Paul tries to recruit the basket ball players...so he challenges the "leader" to a game of one on one. While Paul plays fair he takes a beating because the other guy cheets. You could probably use this as a good example of "turn the other cheek"
- Scene 9 (40 mins - 43 mins) - saying sorry. They are playing football and this big scary guy decks some other guy in the team. Paul makes the big guy say sorry.
- Scene 10 (45 min - 47 mins 20) - more bullying. The prison officers corner this guy in the library and try provoke him into doing something...he doesn't react.
- Scene 15 - scene 17 - the big game / cheating / confession etc. Some highlights include:
- the referee is not playing far...he is biased in favour of the prison guards...anyway, the inmates come up with a way to make him play fair
- in scene 17 (1 hour 30ish) Paul confesses that he did throw that game, and confesses that he's been threatened by the warden so that he does that same again....this time he's going to make the right choice, even if it costs him
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]